Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sample Primal Post-Workout Meal

People have been asking me what I'm eating, since going Primal - no grains, no sugar, and no processed foods. Here is a sample meal, post-workout. 3 half slices of bacon (I baked it), 1 chicken thigh skin on, half a sweet potato fried in tallow, and 2 eggs scrambled.



Macros for anyone who cares: 480 cals, 30.9g fat, 15.9g carbs, 32.8g protein. Fat makes up around 1/2 my daily intake, and I stick to under 60g carbs a day, except for workout days, when I go up to 75g (I add in half a sweet potato and maybe half a banana).

Regular food items are cottage cheese, cheese, whole milk, chicken thighs, roasted chicken (when I can afford it); ground pastured beef; pastured stewing beef; carrots; zucchini; broccoli; "cauli mashed" which is mashed turnip and cauliflower blended together with butter, salt and pepper; frozen berries; bananas on workout days; sweet potatoes on workout days; bacon; steak; salmon; spinach; other veg.

Do I miss bread, rice, and sugar? Not a chance. Not one little bit.

Am I hungry?  Never. Well, I'm getting kinda grumbly by noon, but if I keep myself busy it's not bothersome at all. And I'm never hungry between meals. Never. That's what you get for getting lots of protein and good fats.

My average daily caloric intake is around 1200 kcals. 50-55% of that is fat, 35% (minimum 100g) protein, 15% carbs. On workout days I'm going to try to reduce my fat and increase carbs just a teensy bit in my post-workout meal and see if it brings about an increase in strength gains.

I will have a protein smoothie in a couple hours, with a whole frozen banana, 1 scoop protein powder (made from pastured raw milk, minimally processed, sweetened with stevia), maybe a raw egg, and 1 cup of whole milk. Maybe some cocoa. That will bring my protein intake for the day up to 62.6g. For dinner, I will likely have a spinach salad, a side of cauliflower mashed, and some slow-cooked beef chunks and carrots.

Oh yeah, almost forgot - total weight lost: 6.5 pounds in 3 weeks. And I'm stronger, which means that I'm adding muscle weight, which means I've lost more than 6.5 pounds of fat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment