Friday, August 6, 2010

First Run

It's been a few weeks since my last run and boy, could I ever tell!  The humidity didn't help matters.  It wasn't as bad as I expected, though, given the number of hills on the route.  Kelly is at a level higher than I expected, too, which is nice.  Anyone who can do several km straight on a treadmill will do just fine on a short road run!

We took it fairly slowly and walked for 5-6 minutes for a warm up then stretched, as planned.  The beginning of the route was very steep uphill so it worked out okay.  We did cycles of run/walk, but didn't have a stopwatch (or watch of any kind!) so we just ran when we felt like it and walked when we ran out of steam.  We did about 5 run cycles, and totaled 4.09 km in just under 35 minutes.  Not bad.  I used to jog 4 k in 24 minutes in college.

We'll likely be meeting on Mondays in addition to Thursdays, and hopefully hold each other accountable.  It's always easier to do it when you have someone counting on you to be there, isn't it!

I've come up with a very loose program.  I had it all typed in here and looked lovely, until I tried the "preview" option and realized the post field is too narrow for the chart.  Grr.  Sometimes I don't like blogger very much!

In any case, perhaps I'll write up the program in list form when I have more time.  The gist of it is pretty simple; slowly increase running cycles while shortening walking cycles (leaving a 5 min cool-down walk at every one), gradually increasing distance until we can run about 8 km without difficulty.  That should take about 8 weeks.

In the meantime, stay fit and healthy! 








































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment