Friday, January 28, 2011

P90X!

Sorry to all my readers - I've been super busy with writing, parenting, and life!  I've had a major change in my workload so pretty much everything has been put aside so that I can keep on top of  my writing commitments.  Having said that, I've also made a monumental decision...I'm going to apply to the Toronto Police Service and get back into policing.   I was born to be a cop.  I went to school for it, I worked as one for 4 years, then circumstances made me leave the career I loved.  Now I'm ready to go back....but it's gonna take a ton of work!  I need to dial up my fitness level!  So who's with me????

I started P90X yesterday.  I'm doing the Lean version, which means more cardio (so I can get into good cardio shape) and less strength compared to the regular version.  I'll still be doing pushups and pullups, so I'll be building strength and whittling myself down to my top shape.  I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Yesterday was my first day with the program. We started with Core Synergistics.  It's not quite what I expected, since there was a lot more arm and leg work than I would have thought, but boy oh boy did my glutes ever hurt when I was done!  They hurt just sitting down!

And today was Cardio X day.  Seemed kind of tame while I was doing it (even though I hated it almost all the way through)...there were a lot of kenpo moves, and I don't really have a lot of room for kicking, but whatever.  I did it all.  There are some plyo moves, some kenpo/kickboxing moves, some core moves, some yoga, and that's pretty much it.  It doesn't seem very extreme to me, but I don't have a heart rate monitor since mine broke.  It's hard to tell how hard you're working, without a heart rate monitor.  I recommend anyone who is doing a workout plan like this should have a heart rate monitor, just so you know if you're hitting your target zone.

The only drawback to doing a program like this is the fact that, if you're training for something specific (like policing, for example), and you have to be able to pass certain tests (like running a 1.5 mile run in under so many minutes), then you have to consider that this program will not make you a better runner.  Sure, it might increase your endurance, cardio-wise, but the only way to get better/faster at running is to RUN.  So add in a couple of days worth of running into this program just to stay on your game.

Is there anyone doing (or has done) the P90X program? What do you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment